March 08, 2009

Corn Weenie: the birth of a star


A bit of a silly post here. But it occurred to me that it could be one worth sharing. Besides, how many times in one's life are you likely to be able to use the words "corn weenie" in a story of any kind?

At the end of January, a call went out from a friend of mine that just screamed of urgency. And only a select few of us could come to the rescue. To make a long story somewhat short, it seems that radio station WFMU (found on the dial in some areas or through the internet) was reaching out to listeners to produce a remix of a classic old recording (rumored to be created in the 80s at some point?), I believe entitled "Learn How to Speak Hawaiian," and referred to by some as the Corn Weenie song. This clip (or song) had been played for some time on the station and tortured listeners. So it turned into a remix challenge -- results of which would be aired, posted for play on the website, and later available on a CD compilation.

Anyway, Intangible Arts (my favorite blogger) reached out to many of us on January 31st ("Time-sensitive CORN WEENIE alert!") asking for a contribution -- namely the audio of us saying the words "corn weenie." Whether it be via MP3 or by telephone answering messages, the goal was to collect various versions of the words and form the "Corn Weenie Chorus" needed to complete the remix.

Incidentally, Intangible Arts is also Chester Hawkins (aka Blue Sausage Infant), perhaps my favorite experimental musician (and friend since the late 90s). His mission was to capture some of the original recording and put his own stamp on the mix, incorporating these added chorus contributions.

As many of you know, I spend a bit of time in the studio myself and saw this as a chance to have a bit of fun. I decided to incorporate Su's help! I fired up the basement studio mixer and asked Su if she wanted to give dad a hand with a new recording. Of course, she thought that sounded "sweet," so we proceeded to rattle off a few different takes on the corn weenie theme, laughed hysterically all the while. We anxiously sent our final MP3 results out to Washington D.C. via email and waited for the final product.

The end result was 3:30 minutes of pure fun. The original loose recording (see link near the top of the story as a reference point -- if you can get through the early bits) was transformed into a sort of corn weenie psychedelic stomp -- complete with corn weenie chorus -- and the addition of other weenie contributions added in as the song builds.

But for fans of Su, the payoff is at the very end of the song. Play it out through to the final seconds. Just when you think the song is about over and fading, you'll hear Su's starring moment.

It's a riot. It's fun. A star is born.

Also, I became aware this week that the CD compilation is available now through WFMU (with contributions to the pledge drive). I, of course, sent in my cash just to have the actual full-fledged release, forever showcasing Su at 6-years old. Well, there's that and about 100 different interpretations of the Corn Weenie song. Not for the faint of heart, I suppose.

At her young age, Su is already reaching an international audience. Something old dad never accomplished in all his years of playing.

So for your listening pleasure, I present EPIPHANY AT PORT SAID -- or the Corn Weenie Song -- by Blue Sausage Infant. Just click on the link here and enjoy.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The giggle at the end was the best!!!

epota said...

Mary -

Thanks for reading and listening. I, too, find the ending just a joy. It's a fun song. And Su will always have that to share (if she's willing!).

-M

IntangibleArts said...

Thanks, sir.

There's a lot of great CornWeenie mixes on that compilation. It's a premium CDR being offered by Ken Freedman during the current pledge-drive (his show is wednesdays 9-noon).

WFMU is the finest example of freeform radio in the country (indeed, the woild?) and the remix challenge is a great example of how interactive they can be with the listeners. If you dig this stuff, support the station... Marathon ends this week!

epota said...

Intangible -

No, thank YOU for the opportunity to have a bit of fun and be a part of something that even manages to reach a few listeners along the way. Su will always have that little bit of history.

And thanks for the additional pledge drive info for the viewers.

Anonymous said...

good morning everyone. I'm honestly into shoes and I was searching as far as something that singular brand. The prices as regards the shoes are around 300 pounds on every site. But finally I set this locate selling them as a remedy for half price. I really like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly order those. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

hi dudes. I'm actually into shoes and I had been digging allowing for regarding that exact brand. The prices seeking the shoes were all over 310 dollars on every site. But definitively I set this location selling them for half price. I exceptionally like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely buy them. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

good afternoon fellas. I'm actually into shoes and I have been searching allowing for regarding that particular brand. The prices seeking the sneakers are about 200 bucks everwhere. But finally I bring about this site selling them as a remedy for half price. I in reality love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly order them. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

good day ppl. I'm actually into shoes and I have been searching for that exact make. The prices seeking the velcros are approximately 310 dollars on every page. But completely I base this area selling them as a remedy for half price. I really love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly order them. what can you tell me about these?