March 07, 2008

Save the date!


Where do you plan to be on April 19th? After reading the news today in the entertainment section of our local newspaper, the answer became more than obvious. The ONLY place you should be is at your local vinyl-and-CD authority. For April 19th is...

RECORD STORE DAY!!

I didn't know there was such a day. And maybe not before this year (although, as a youth, I would proclaim almost ANY day to be Record Store Day). I saw the little blurb in the paper. Local merchant heroes Kiss the Sky were participating! And my eyes lit up when I caught the phrase, "...when Kiss the Sky joins indie stores throughout the country to pay homage to record-store culture via live music, mega sales, and overall "High Fidelity" camaraderie." Geez! Camaraderie, too?!

For grins, I visited the Kiss the Sky site and was surprised to see an actual banner ad for an actual Record Store Day web site (graphics above). When I linked onto the Record Store Day site, there were the words right in front of me:

"On Saturday, April 19th, 2008, hundreds of independently owned music stores across the country will celebrate 'Record Store Day.'"

Additional:

"On this day, all of these stores will simultaneously link and act as one with the purpose of celebrating the culture and unique place that they occupy both in their local communities and nationally."

So do you need any more encouragement to take a journey to your local participating establishment? Not sure if one near you is involved? Just visit the Record Store Day website for a complete list of stores that are sharing in this milestone day. Do your part. Get involved. Share in the fun. Make some purchases. Keep these key members of our community in business for a long, long time.

2 comments:

IntangibleArts said...

erm, no. I didn't need any more encouragement. Now I'll have to "train up" for the big day. muaha-ha.

Kerry said...

Maybe we'll see you Downtown Geneva that day.

And I wanted to let you know anytime a blog has annoying music on you can go to the bottom of it and turn off the music! Thanks for your message.

So important to keep the local businesses going. So much character.
Kerry